At its northernmost extreme, high up in the Canadian Rockies, Hwy-93 passes through some of the most famous vacation areas in North America: the Canadian national parks of Banff and Jasper. Popular with skiers and snowboarders in winter, and hikers and sightseers in summer, these resort areas have been must-sees for more than 100 years and remain among the most beautiful places on earth.
Between Jasper and Lake Louise, Highway 93 is known as the Icefields Parkway, an amazing drive with endless panoramas of glaciers and towering peaks, and dozens of turnouts and trailheads to tempt you out from behind the wheel. Over 140 mi (225 km) long, the Icefields Parkway runs right alongside the Continental Divide, the rugged crest that separates the Atlantic and Pacific watersheds. South of the Icefields Parkway, our route passes through the world-renowned resort towns of Banff and Lake Louise, taking in their unforgettable alpine scenery—and historic landmark hotels
Southwest from Lake Louise, Hwy-93 winds through Kootenay National Park, another incredible assembly of mountain scenery, before dropping down out of the mountains for the run south to the border, following the broad Kootenay River all the way to Montana.
Highlights Along the Border to Border Route in Canada
- Jasper National Park — Drive the Icefield Parkway through Jasper surrounded by icy rivers between glaciers and towering Rocky Mountain peaks
- Banff National Park — Your first stop should be the Weeping Wall, a 330-foot cliff of gray limestone with a series of waterfalls tumbling down. In winter, it’s a prime spot for ice-climbing thrill-seekers.
- Yoho National Park — While it’s a lesser-known park, Yoho is home to Takakkaw Falls, perhaps the most impressive waterfall in the Canadian Rockies.
- Lake Louise — This deep aquamarine pool at the foot of silvery snowcapped peaks is worth traveling around the world to see.
- Kootenay National Park — Experience wilderness without having to wait in line; this lesser-visited park is abundant with wildlife and hiking trails.